First place in the title of "the big insect in the world" is deservedly awarded Woodman-titanium (Latin Titanus giganteus), whose body length can reach 17, and according to some sources, and 21 inches!--
A. Lumberjack-titanium (Latin Titanus giganteus) - kind of beetles from the family of long-horned beetles (Cerambycidae). Is one of the largest insects.
Two. Most sources indicate the length of an adult ranges from 79 to 168 mm. In other sources the maximum length is different - from 170 to 210 and even up to 220 mm. Accurate scientific data was not available yet. The average length of most specimens is 130 mm, is much rarer individuals up to 150 mm.
Three. Large reach only a few instances.
4. The cost of the dried specimens the maximum possible size for the entomological collections may reach U.S. $ 680-1000 or more. Dry weight of the beetle is 22-26 grams.
Five. Females are larger and bulkier than males. Stained pitch-brown or brown-brown.
6. The body is extended, and to a lesser extent flattened in the dorsal-ventral direction. In the lateral projection has the shape of the lens.
7. Pronotum is characterized by three sharp spines on each side. Vyyamchatye eyes. The antennae are attached in front, reaching half the length of the body.
Eight. Life expectancy of adults - 3-5 weeks, during which the beetles do not feed and live off the fat reserves accumulated during the larval stage.
9. Is nocturnal, which is typical for the majority of closely related species.
10. At dusk, increases the activity of beetles, they crawl out of daytime shelters (litter, tree hollows, rotten stumps) rise on the rise and soar.
11. The males are very sensitive to light, because light traps entomologists females rarely get.
12. Lumberjack-titanium is distributed throughout the Amazon region - from Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Suriname and Guyana, to Bolivia and central parts of Brazil.
13. The morphology of the larvae is unknown, as they have not yet discovered. When comparing the sizes of adults and larvae of closely related species can be assumed that the size of the larvae drevoseka-titanium should be 240-360 mm.
14. Like other species of the tribe Prionini larvae drevoseka-titans supposedly developed in the roots and the root zone drying and dead trees. Pupation probably occurs in the soil.